Thursday 2 August 2012

I love scarves, I wear them, I write about them


Heaving bosoms just aren’t my thing (think Elizabeth Bennett in BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice and the infamous Regency Empire Line). 


Now being a curvy hourglass, old school style rules dictate that I suit ‘Deep V necks’ thus giving my breasts a good outing. No thanks. This is where my love of scarves stems from – covering up my prominent chest minus the high neckline. I LOVE scarves. Over the years I have collected Hermes, Liberty, charity shop offerings and inherited a trunk full to bursting from my Nana. I always carry a scarf in my handbag. I always have a spare scarf tucked away in the wardrobe mobile. So, as you can imagine, I was beyond excited to meet Laura Orchant, purveyor of luxury printed goods including the most tantalising range of scarves I have seen for a long time.





Inspired by the natural world, her designs are beautifully cataclysmic and thoroughly trippy. Which makes sense when you consider most of the prints were conceived at 5am “a great time to work – my thoughts are so free flowing.”  Taking inspiration from “fireworks, Morocco, lights, nature” Laura uses photos (she always carries her camera should inspiration strike) and memories (hence why a past holiday Morocco is listed as an inspiration) to begin the process. Line drawing sketches, which she manipulates in Photoshop, turn into the truly magnificent digital prints which are then printed onto silk and hand hemmed. Luxury doesn’t even cover it. Take a look at the Sunset Firework scarf (personal favourite) through the magnifying glass in the online shop and you can see the intricate detail: vibrant bursts of colour contrasting with the rich luminosity of the firework streaking across the silk.



This young British designer doesn’t wait around: only recently graduating from Ravensbourne in July, Laura Orchant’s SS13 collection is already available to purchase from her website. Go now. At least have a look. And a little fashion lust. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. Love to know your thoughts...